With funding secured through a partnership between Council, the State Government and the Australian Government, construction started on the $17.2 million first phase of the project on 15 September, 2017.
Construction of stage one facilities, scheduled to be substantially completed by September 2019, includes the enhancement of existing facilities and construction of new ones in the Jack Smyth Drive and The Ringers Road precinct.The Centre will not only enhance recreational facilities for the local community but promises to boost economic activity through increased numbers of visitors competing or spectating at major premier level sporting competitions and other events held there.Council contributed $4.45 million to stage one with the Australian Government providing $8.5 million and $4.25 million from the NSW Government. Stage one includes an outdoor velodrome and criterium track; outdoor arena, warm up arena, carpark and amenities at the AELEC; an athletics centre and carpark; and, an extension to the Tamworth Sports Dome.
Stage two includes the expansion and upgrade of the Tamworth Regional Hockey Complex and the addition of roofs over two existing warm up arenas at the AELEC.
OUTDOOR VELODROME AND CRITERIUM TRACK
The proposed facility is a dedicated outdoor venue capable of hosting local and regional events. The concept has the support of Tamworth Cycle Club and Cycling NSW.
Its design includes:
- An asphaltic concrete outdoor velodrome track (333.3m in length) with associated warm-up an cool-down areas,
- A 4.5m wide asphaltic concrete road around the perimeter of the site for use as a criterium track,
- A free-standing amenities and storage building,
- A 100-space car park including two accessible spaces
- Lighting to allow night training at the velodrome.
OUTDOOR ARENA, CARPARK AND AMENITIES AT THE AELEC
Proposed for the western side of the existing indoor arena and stable complex, while also being to the north of the existing campdraft arena.
The new arena comprises:
- A 100m x 100m arena surrounded by a 1.2m picket fence where three dressage areas meeting standards for national events will be built.
- Warm-up arena
- A landscaped earth berm for spectator viewing will be created on the western side as well as an accessible spectator area.
A spectator mound will be built on the northern-eastern corner of the existing campdraft area.
A free-standing amenities and storage building built between the existing campdraft arena and the proposed new outdoor arena. It will feature two storerooms, a service room, men’s and women’s toilets, a unisex accessible toilet, covered outdoor area and two accessible parking spaces.
A Warm-up Arena was added because it is considered an essential requirement for hosting elite level competitions.
The Ringers Road will be extended south at the existing roundabout at the intersection of The Ringers Road and Jack Smyth Drive. A new section of dual carriage roadway will extend around the new and existing outdoor arenas, terminating at the existing loading stock area. It will include a roundabout giving to two-way access to a new 79-space sealed car park.
ATHLETICS CENTRE, CARPARK AND TAMWORTH SPORTS DOME EXTENSION
The new athletics centre features:
- A synthetic outdoor athletics track with a warm-up and cool-down area inside the track.
- A long jump/triple jump track
- A free-standing storage building on the south-east corner of the site for secure storage of athletics equipment.
The extension to the Dome of about 885 square metres will provide an additional indoor synthetics netball/basketball court, two large storage areas and a netball control room serving the outdoor netball courts.
A new sealed car park with 69 parking spaces will have a pathway connecting it with both the outdoor netball courts and the Dome.
An amenities building being constructed as part of the approved velodrome and criterium track will also cater for athletics centre users.